Corrosion of metal reinforcement is among the most serious threats to the durability of concrete structures. Even though many technologies delay and mitigate the consequences of corrosion on embedded reinforcement, you can find fewer options when corrosion occurs deep inside concrete.
MCI®-2020 Gel can be an injectable corrosion inhibitor which gives a robust dose of corrosion protection directly at or close to the depth of steel reinforcement in concrete. MCI®-2020 Gel utilizes the time-verified chemistry of Cortec’s Migrating Corrosion Inhibitor™ (MCI®) Technology to migrate to steel reinforcement from injection locations. At the reinforcing steel once, MCI® molecules deposit over the metal surface to create a molecular layer which acts as a barrier to corrosive elements such as for example chlorides.
This technology has several benefits:
- Targeted application: MCI®-2020 Gel could be used at customizable depths to meet up the requirements of a structure, directly targeting problem locations and decreasing time necessary for migration of the inhibitor
- Minimally invasive: Injection holes could be drilled smaller than for comparable products oftentimes
- Economical to set up and keep maintaining: Holes could be capped for easy reapplication or sealed with repair mortar as preferred
- Attractive safety benefits: MCI®-2020 Gel is usually non-flammable, non-combustible, and will not include secondary amines or nitrites (which together can develop carcinogenic nitrosamines)
Suggested applications where this can be needed consist of:
- Below grade tunnels
- Window lintels
- Buildings with facades
- Residential buildings
- Structural walls and equipment bases
- Parking decks, ramps, and garages
- Marine structures, dams, or piers
- Balconies, decks, retaining walls, and lanais
Corrosion of concrete reinforcement can be an insidious problem that ultimately reveals itself in cracking and deteriorating structures. Arresting corrosion at the main level before it proceeds too much could be difficult but no more impossible in hard-to-access locations because of MCI®-2020 Gel.